Sunday, October 14, 2007

Volunteer experiences

I had two experiences going to volunteer with some NGOs here in South Florida. Both experiences were through DHL. First we went play and have fun with some kids Saturday morning . It was very cool and I supposed to play with them but the problem was that I don’t know how to play their games (American football, kick ball, baseball) and they don’t like to play our games (soccer, volleyball). I learnt a lot and I had a lot of fun with the kids anyway. They taught me!!!

The other opportunity was when I went to build a house in a poor neighborhood with the NGO “Habitat for humanity”. Our DH group was responsible to cover the roof with an impermeable material. This one was very hard. We need to put the material and stick it hammering some nails through a metal disk. It was very hard and physically demanding but we accomplished the task. Our fingers were hurt after hammering it many times.

Fortunately their concept of poorness is very different from ours. The house that we build would be a very good one in Brazil and here were a supposed poor house in dangerous neighborhood.

This week I subscribed to the disaster team at DHL. When we have some global disaster, like the earthquake in Peru, DHL send some employee offering your core competence: “logistic and transportation¨ to support the people. Let’s see if they will select me.

No comments: